Chayote and Avocado Soup
A Chayote is a light green, pear shaped gourd similar in texture to a summer squash. You can find it in most hispanic grocery stores.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 small boiling potato, sliced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon lemon herb spice
- 2 chayotes, peeled seeded, and sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions and add garlic after 2-3 minutes. Stir until onions are soft and translucent, making sure not to let the garlic brown.
- Add stock, water, and potato. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the potato slices are tender
- Add chayotes and bring to a boil.
- Return heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the chayotes have softened, about 15 minutes
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- As each batched is pureed, pour the soup through a sieve, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract all the juices.
- Add the chopped avocado, lime juice and seasonings.
- Pulse to blend then add the mixture back to the soup pot
- Pour in half and half and bring just to a boil.
- Taste and season as necessary
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour into a covered pitcher and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut into chunks
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons high quality olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate vinegar
- In a blender, puree watermelon, cucumber, red pepper, garlic, and lime juice. pulsing as necessary.
- Add olive oil, smoked paprika, and pomegranate vinegar and pulse 1 or 2 times to blend.
- Transfer soup to a covered pitcher and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Garnish with peeled, chopped cucumber and chopped red pepper.